A castle "Montis Aste" is named in 1164 in the Diploma of the Emperor Frederick with which the possessions to the Monastery of Frassinoro are confirmed (1). Still in the seventeenth century it was possible to see the ruins of the castle (2). In 1240 the Auction Community takes the oath of allegiance to the Municipality of Reggio (3). The population of the villa includes in 1315, 26 families.
In 1373 it was not delivered to Guido Savina Fogliani, like most of the locality in the area, but, for strategic reasons, it remained reserved to the lord of Reggio, the Visconti. Passed at the beginning of the fifteenth century to Nicolò d'Este, was incorporated into the Podestà of Minozzo. During the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries there are no important news except those recurrent of continuous disputes bordering the inhabitants of Secchio and Gazzano.
At the end of the 18th century it had 245 inhabitants and 35 heads of families were registered in the Act of accession to the Republic of Reggio Emilia (4). A chapel of "Aste" (or Valdaste) is mentioned in the document mentioned in 1240 but only in the tithes of 1302 and 1318 appears the parish church of St. Andrew (5), a branch of the Pieve di Minozzo. Currently the name refers to the church that rises isolated downstream of the village of Case Bagatti. The old church, facing east, consisted of a single ship with three altars. The current church is in "modern" style with three naves, in terracotta (6). In the eastern side there is a portal with a round brick arch bearing a weapon in key, dated "1864".